Tax deadline: Things to know about filing taxes

Enlarge this image

Enlarge this image

"You still need to get an extension because if you don't and don't pay, the penalty is around 5 percent a month versus if you file the extension and pay later it is a half percent per month so that is a big difference", said Smith.

Choosing e-file and direct deposit for refunds remains the fastest and safest way to file an accurate income tax return and receive a refund, according to the IRS.

Daney and Scales said ahead of the 2014 tax filing season they were directed to manipulate client information to maximize refunds.

Tax pros say there are many legitimate reasons why you might want to file an extension. If you're working in the gig economy or as a freelancer, you're allowed to take advantage of business expense deductions that you may not be eligible for as a W-2 employee, such as start-up costs, computers, auto expenses and so on, according to Greene-Lewis.

Jackson And Olding Contracts With IRFU and Ulster Cancelled
The incident has sparked protests outside the club grounds, and several club sponsors have expressed concern following the case. A fellow Ulster team-mate, Craig Gilroy, has been suspended by the province till April 26 for a message he sent to the pair.

Tax experts say you should not avoid filing your taxes is because you don't have the money to pay. The failure-to-file penalty can be as much as 25% of taxes due.

You can submit the form electronically through the IRS website before midnight on April 17. However, they're more than happy to hang on to the money they owe you if you don't.

While many Americans enjoy getting a tax refund, others would rather have access to that money throughout the year. If you're married filing jointly and your adjusted gross income is less than $150,000, just make sure that this year's withholdings plus payments equal the same as last year.

One scam is a robotic voice that uses incorrect English, which calls threatening consumers, telling them that they have a debt with the IRS and will be taken under custody by local authorities. Then, subtract this year's withholdings and estimated payments you made over the course of the year, and send the difference to the IRS this year.

Latest News