Man accused of fatally shooting mother after argument over video game

Matthew Nicholson  Ceres Police Department

Matthew Nicholson Ceres Police Department

Matthew Nicholson, 28, was playing video games in the bedroom of his Ceres, Calif., home on Wednesday night when an argument broke out with his mother Lydia Nicholson.

According to a report from the Ceres Police Department, 28-year-old Matthew Nicholson was playing video games in his room on Thursday night when he got upset and started yelling.

He allegedly grabbed a gun, fired two rounds into the wall of their house and then shot his mother.

Nicholson argued with his mother, broke his video game headset, then blamed her, according to police.

Matthew then fled the scene, with police catching up to him near a relative's home and arresting him for homicide. Their son Matthew Nicholson threatened to kill them both over a broken video game headset, police said. His father was able to wrestle the gun out of Nicholson's hand, after which Nicholson left.

The victim's daughter, Autumn, says that Lydia Nicholson worked in local schools for decades and that she and her husband Loren Nicholson had been married for 32 years.

Bookies bet on Federer to retain his Australian Open title
Negative signs continued when he made a decision to opt out of his first warm-up to the Australian Open , in Doha. Open finalist Madison Keys. "(Simona) Halep is number one at the moment but we have four or five different girls.

Police responded to the home in Ceres, California, just before 10 p.m. A long-time friend of the family elaborated, telling FOX40, "I understand that he would've killed the father too, but the gun jammed". (Facebook) Lydia Nicholson cuddles a baby in a family photo. She was taken to the hospital but later died from her injuries.

Police located him driving his vehicle in Riverbank, pulled him over and took him into custody without further incident.

Matthew Nicholson was later pulled over amid a movement stop and captured without occurrence.

"My heart is shattered and I promise your memory will live on forever in me, Dad, Cameron and Chris. You've earned your wings, fly and be free", she added.

He was booked on a homicide charge and is being held in the Stanislaus County Jail without bail.

Latest News