Three boats reportedly sped into Saudi waters, speeding towards Saudi oil field platforms at Marjan - ignoring warning shots by guards.
An Iranian ministry of interior official said on Monday that Saudi Arabia's claim that it had detained three members of the Iranian military was not correct, according to a report by the Young Journalists Club news site. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps immediately blamed Saudi Arabia for backing the Islamic State in the assault, which was the first time ISIS had ever hit Iran.
Aghababaie said "even if the boats had entered Saudi waters, the coastguard were not authorised to open fire".
Saudi Arabia did not say who it suspected in the disrupted attack.
The vessel, seized last Friday, was carrying explosives and meant to conduct a "terrorist act" in Saudi territorial waters, it said.
Authorities: 32 people go to hospitals after deck collapse
More than 50 people were injured when the deck gave way following a memorial service for a firefighter who died in April. Somers' Fire Department said the second story deck collapsed around 4 p.m. and fell a total distance of 15 to 20 feet.
That statement also made no mention of arrests but said the boats bore "red and white flags".
The statement came two days after Iran accused Saudi Arabia of shooting and killing one of its fishermen.
The news, reported on the Saudi national news agency, said that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia "stressed its determination to combat and eradicate terrorism and its sources, as a part of the country's permanent objective to protect its national security against any external aggression".
Relations between Saudi Arabia and Iran have strained since Riyadh severed diplomatic ties with Tehran early past year after its diplomatic missions in Tehran and Mashhad came under mob attacks following the execution of a Saudi Shia cleric.
Earlier this month Saudi Arabia and several of its allies cut ties with Qatar, accusing it of supporting extremist groups, including some backed by Iran.